Friday, May 3, 2013

Cost of a Delivery.... and an ICU visit

It is official- all my bills from my delivery, pregnancy, my ER and IUC visits and my postpartum care have come in.  
I have been waiting to write this post until I got every bill.  
Last November Joe and I made the decision to put myself on the federal government Employee insurance plan as Joe's plan did not cover maternity until your deductible was met which was very high.   On his plan pregnancy was considered a sick visit so not covered- SO STUPID! 
We would have to pay almost 7000 out of pocket before anything was covered- NOT COOL!

His previous plan covered maternity but only at a certain percent.
For the first 28 weeks of my pregnancy we has some co pays and deductibles but nothing too ridiculous unlike his new plan.  He company was doing this as a way to save money- so stupid.  Because of changing plans half the way thru my pregnancy- I did not include prenatal care in the total below because they were paid by two insurance companies.  So this just includes delivery, ICU and follow up for my complications. 

So while it was a little more pricey a month to place me on a separate insurance- an extra $30 overall a month- this proved to be the best decision we made with regards to the pregnancy!

Here are the bills I received:

March 5-8  Hospital Stay for delivery
$8499  for the Hospital Charges from March 5-8th
$846 for all the lab work required during my stay-  I had lab work drawn at least 2-4 times a day due to the pre- eclampsia and postpartum hemorrhage
$3331 for the actually delivery charges
$1262 for the epidural charges

So my total delivery charges from March 5-8th was $13,938.
How much did we pay-  $0!!!!!

But the story continues.... 
So remember how I had to go back into the ER and then was admitted to the ICU for Blood Pressure mangamement because the Pre- Eclampsia got worse....Here are those bills


March 12-14 
$494  for all the lab work in the ER and the ICU
$712 for the ER visit
$281 for the ICU MD consult
$7791 for the hospital charge for a two night stay in the ICU

So total for my readmission in the hospital was:  $9,278
How much did we pay-$221 for the ER visit

Then after that I was place on blood pressure medication and had to follow up with an MD-  office visit charge-  $55

Total Cost of my delivery/ICU $23,271 
What we paid:  $221

Other things I had to pay:
Blood Pressure Medication:  $10
Mastitis Medication: $5

I planned on having to pay more than this so I started this year taking $20 dollars out of each paycheck into my Health Savings Plans, which will cover all my delivery expenses and my medications so far.  

We made the decision to place Collin on Joe's insurance because I am going down to part time after the baby and this makes my insurance more expensive because it is done on a pro-rated system.  
We are still waiting for Collin's bills to come in as we had to add him to the insurance and this took time and then had to notify all the doctors that took care of him....
However, I can state that he will cost us more than what I had to pay....
More to come on this.  





No comments:

Post a Comment