Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What to do with tons of tomatoes?

OMG
As stated previously we have tomatoes taking over our back yard.  I can not keep up with picking them all.  One Monday I was home looking at my counter full of tomatoes and decided I needed to make Marinara sauce with all of them.  

So I headed to the internet to find an easy Crock Pot Recipe from Food.com.
I gravitated towards this recipe because it was easy and I had everything.  

Ingredients
2 (28 ounce) cans Italian-style crushed tomatoes -  I used 10 medium sized fresh tomatoes chopped
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 large onion, chopped - I used purple onion
8 garlic cloves, finely chopped - I only used 2 because we are not huge garlic fans
1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
1 teaspoon oregano leaves - I used fresh oregano and used 2-3 sprigs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
12 cups whole wheat spaghetti 
**I also add some fresh Basil from our garden cut finely and fresh mushrooms

Directions:

1 Mix all ingredients in a 3 1/2 to 6 quart crock pot




.
2 Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hour or high 4 to 5 hours.
3 Serve over spaghetti.



It was amazing and I froze enough to have for dinners during the week over the next month or so.  




No comments:

Post a Comment