Thursday, September 13, 2012

Coming down with a "bug"

Each day, I talk to women about pregnancy discomforts. 
I could site off treatments, remedies etc. 

So when I threw up in my trash can at work for the first time at 6 weeks I knew that this was both a good sign and also a challenge.  It meant that the little bug inside of me was growing and that my hormones were going crazy.  But it also meant that if I am throwing up, it is going to be a long 1st trimester.

I made a couple promises to myself when I found out I was pregnant and the number one promise I made to myself was :
1) I will not complain about being pregnant or anything that comes along with it. 

That begin said for the next two weeks I had Nausea and Vomitting.  According to me- it was mild, according to Joe is was terrible.  I ate, I threw up to the point where I just stopped eating.  I tried everything that I recommended to patients with little sucess. 
Ginger did not work
Gingerale did not work
Sprite did not work
Salty foods did not work
Crackers did not work
Supplements did not work.

As my husband worried I constantly reminded him this was normal, and we were not going to complain.
I tried to stay active as much as I could and when I could not run because I was too weak I did 2- two mile walks a day.   I was definetly not running at full steam and any one that asked I just stated I had stomach bug... and that "bug" is how you got your name.  

Then I walked in for my 8 week visit to discover I had lost 7 pounds since May. 
Joe looked at me and said- "Can we now talk to the midwife about the N/V?"
I laughed and said "Yes"
He has turned into the worrier and not me- I LOVE IT!

They ended up putting me on Zofran which I only took when I needed to make it thru a clinic full of patients and when we had plans with friends where I could not spend the night next to my friend- porcalin. 
I am not a fan on medication but some times it is needed. 

So even though I am a midwife and knew everything, in the end I needed a little help!

No comments:

Post a Comment