Friday, April 13, 2012

Plantar Fascitis

Yes I know it sounds like something gross!
And worse- I have it!!!

Plantar fascitis is inflammation of the thick tissue on the bottom of the foot. 

I was diagnosed by an orthopedic resident who I work with. 
While I was totally bummed I was also relieved to know that is was not anything worse. 

Most likely I am getting this because I am starting to be a distance runner and do admit that I probably am over stretching my shoes.  They recommend new shoes for runner every 300-500 miles depending on how much distance you run.  I figured out today that I have not bought a new pair of running shoes since August.
Yes shame on me!!!

So I looked up the treatment methods:
  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) to reduce pain and inflammation
  • Heel stretching exercises
  • Resting as much as possible for at least a week
  • Wearing shoes with good support and cushions
So basically, I need new shoes. 
Futhermore, I need to get shoes that are working for me. 
While I love Asics, I am starting to wonder if they are the best shoe for me- I have now had shin splints multiple times, and now this. 
I need better shoes.

So this weekend, while my hubby is powerwashing and staining our deck
(I have learned it is best to leave him alone with his man projects)
- I will be on my way to Potomac River Running Store in Herndon to get fitted for some new shoes.
=0)

No comments:

Post a Comment