Monday, April 2, 2012

Cake Pops!

Sorry for the break from my progressive dinner desserts over the last couple days.
Let jump back into it.

The third dessert was by far my favorite:

Red Velvet Cake Pops

I thought this would be a fun and also mobile dessert.  

I stole the recipe for the Red Velvet Cake Ball from Bakerella.com

Red Velvet Cake Balls
Ingredients:
1 box red velvet cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz.)
1 package chocolate bark (regular or white chocolate)
wax paper

 Instructions:
1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting. (It may be easier to use fingers to mix together, but be warned it will get messy.)
3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet. (Should make 45-50. You can get even more if you use a mini ice cream scooper, but I like to hand roll them.)
4. Chill for several hours. (You can speed this up by putting in the freezer.)
5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package.
6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm. (Use a spoon to dip and roll in chocolate and then tap off extra.)

 Then I followed another blog, Love From the Oven,  which showed me how to make these balls in to pops:  


The next step was to put the sticks in.  I prefer to dip the stick into a bit of melted chocolate, than into the cake pop.   This seems to help the pop stay on the stick better, which helps a lot when you are dipping them in the chocolate.

After that I dipped each one into the chocolate and placing them in the fridge after the chocolate dried.  I used both milk chocolate and white chocolate. 


 It ended up making 48-58 pops so we gave going home goodie bags from the Progressive dinner, then froze the rest which we ended up taking some over to our friends for a cook out last weekend. 
Both times I arranged them in a small vase with little stones at the bottom to help hold them in place..


This was a little more involved dessert but a lot of fun and very yummy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment