Sunday, January 22, 2012

Running thru life... Crockpot ????


Our friends had their baby which we are so excited about meeting!
Joe and I wanted to make something for dinner for them that we could take over already prepared ready for them to eat.  I started searching.  I receive  Family Circle Magazine as a gift so I whipped it out and started looking for recipes.

My co-worker has been raving about Crockpotting, so I thought I would give it a whirl!


Beef Stew with Potato Dumplings
Makes 6 servings
Prep Time- Less than 10 minutes
Cook time  LOW  7 1/2 hrs  High 5 hours

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound chuck steak, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 medium-size carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick coins
  • 1 10 ounce package cremini mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1 pound package frozen pearl onions
  • 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
  • 3/4 teaspoon dry red wine
  • 3/4 cup dried thyme
  • 1 17 1/2 ounce package gnocchi

Directions

1. In large bowl, toss together steak, flour and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Place steak in slow cooker with carrots,mushrooms, garlic, onions, broth, red wine and 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 7 hours.
2. Remove lid and stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and dried thyme and the gnocchi. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes or until gnocchi is tender.



I ended up makes a double patch so that we can have some this week since Joe will be back in school.
I also used fresh pearl onions because Joe and I are on the fresh kick.  

I think it turned out great- We started it at 11 am yesterday so it was done at  4 pm.  
Then I packaged it up in our CorningWare AnyWare French Carry Case


All and all I think the meal was a success and so easy!
I am definitely a fan of crock-potting and will be doing much more of it this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment