Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Running thru life... A lession in Staining....

A couple months ago Joe and I were walking around in the store and we saw a beautiful "H"artwork,
 Joe immediately commented that he would love to get an "H" for the house.
H is the first letter of his last name..
(I have not changed my name yet and probably wont for professional reasons.)
Unfortunately, the one in the store was too expensive and did not fit our artwork in our house. 
So I went on a mission to find an "H".
I was fortunate to find a vendor on Etsy called Simply Sawdust.
After emailing back and forth and telling him what I was looking for, what size, etc-  we came to a conclusion that I would order a 20 inch H in Edwardian Script. 
This way the first part of the "H" looked like a J for Joe and the second part looked like an L for Laura
It arrived last week......


After thinking about it I decided Staining it would work the best.  
Joe and I decided to go with a dark stain called Bombay Mahogany Satin Stain because it would match our dining room the best. 


 We picked it up at Walmart while we were in NC. 
Walmarts in the south are so nice!
Fairfax, VA - not so much.
 I fortunately already had a brush.  
I laid out the Sunday paper on our kitchen table and went to work. 

 

After one coat!



After three coats.  


The only thing that I would do in the future in bring some plastic gloves home from the office so that my hands do not get stain on them.
Also of note I threw the brush that I used away because the stain is so hard to clean- lucky for me my in-laws have given up about 15 brushes so I am not at a loss.  




Finished Product!



No comments:

Post a Comment