Sunday, October 30, 2011

Running thru life... Christmas Shopping

Yes... Fall is here which means a couple things for me.
One is that it is time to start my Christmas Shopping. 
Let me start with stating that I HATE shopping around the holidays because of the crowds. 
So each year I start my shopping a little early and am normally done by beginning of December. 

I have a system to Christmas shopping.

Step One:  Set a price point
We buy gifts for my family and Joe's family so I have found over the year that we pick a price point and stick with it.  This is something that is a 2 second conversation between myself and Joe.  I normally have already figured out how much money is budgeted for Christmas and what that means for each family member. 

Step Two:  Lists
With the help of my ipad and my "Sorted" app, I made a list for everyone.  This way I have everything in one place. 

Step Three:  Prioritize Purchases
I have it set up that we make one purchase a week. 
This also helps me line up coupons, specials, etc.  I am the queen when it comes to saving on Christmas gifts because you can almost find a coupon for anything!
This spreads out the cost significantly and also make me feel like I am not spending my life shopping.

Step  Four:  Storage
I have a closet in the guest room designated as storage for our Christmas gift. 
I hate clutter so this is a nice place to store them out of the way.

Step Five:  Receipts
Each year I find an envelope and write "Christmas" on it.
I place every receipt in here and when we head off to Christmas' at our parents I slip the envelope into my purse.  That way if for some reason the person needs to return the gift I can give them the receipt then and there and do not have to worry about mailing it to them later.  This is a personal pet peeve of mine.

I also do this for gifts for any occasion.  I always either make sure a gift receipt is attached and have a special envelop at home on my desk that I keep all gift receipts and return recipients until the gifts are given. 

Step Six: Wrapping Gifts
I sit down and wrap all gift at once.  I find this is the most efficient way to do this.  It normally takes me less than 2 hours.  I normally try to do this either the first week of Christmas or the second week.

I know this may sound like overwhelming but it really makes my life easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment