Friday, May 27, 2011

Running thru life... Weight gain during pregnancy

Many people have started to bug me on why I do not blog about my career as a midwife.
Let me start out by stating that I truly love my career. 
It can have its ups and downs- but I LOVE what I do.  
So I have decided to start incorporating items from my patients into my blog.

Today's item:  Weight gain during pregnancy
Pregnancy can be an exciting and fun time but for some it can be stressful. 
Today I want to discuss one of those stressors for pregnant women that I deal with almost every day- Excessive Weight Gain during pregnancy.

I constantly walk into rooms with patients crying or visibly upset with their weight gain during pregnancy. 
This is what I have learned in my short career to 1)BE REAL WITH THEM and 2) Set them up to succeed. 

I do this in my practice in many ways.  The first most important step is laying the ground rules.  So at my first visit with a patient I layout their expected weight gain and break it down according to trimesters.  Often people think when women are pregnant they are eating for two - WRONG.  You actually only need about 300-500 calories extra a day if you are of average height and weight. (That is a granola bar!!!)

Here is a chart with recommended weight gain during pregnancy
according the ACOG (Americal College of OBGYN).  On average plan to gain about 25-35 pounds.


On the first visit I explain where this weight will go and what it will do. 
See below...

I go on further to explain that by 20 weeks you should gain about 10 pounds total, followed by a pound a week for the remainder of pregnancy (for an average person.). 

At each visit my patients are weighed and I review their weight with them.  I look to see they are staying on their course and if they are not I get real with them- what are we eating, are we walking, and trying to exercise.  But most importantly I try to give positive reinforcement because it works the best! 

It can be hard when addressing the idea of weight with pregnant women. 
The answer is "Lifestyle change." 
It is not just one thing but a way of life. 

This is what pregnant women need to realize-  Pregnancy nutrition is a lifestyle change.  It means eating health, exercise, and splurging when you need to.  You could read a thousand pregnancy books and all will give you probably different advice on what to eat versus what not to eat. 
 For my patients the answer is simple-  Live a  healthy lifestyle with occasional splurges.   

To be honest- all women can benefit from this idea. 
So start today by changing your lifestyle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment