Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Running thru life... Managing a dog on a budget

Dogs are expensive!!
That being said I am totally one of those people that would do anything for Clemson. 
By the time you add the yearly vet bills, monthly medications, food, and for Clemson- grooming. 

Clemson has hair not fur so he does not shed-
which was a must when my hubby and I were considering a dog.
Because Clemson does not shed we have to have him groomed. 

We have had him for 1 1/2 year now and he has been groomed 4 times total.  
However, grooming is expensive!!! 
The first two times we had him groomed at Barks and Bubbles by our house the bill was close to $90. 
This is almost more than I pay to have my hair cut and highlighted!!!!! 
I was unhappy with their service (because the did not clean his ears which we specifically asked for).
So on a friend's recommendation we took him to Petsmart for his next two grooming experiences. 
They actually did an awesome job!!! 
To have him washed, groomed, nails filed, and his ears cleaned out it cost us $75.

However, we know that we are going to have to get him groomed more often this summer just because it is going to be so hot!  The couple hot days we had already he was dying laying on the floor and not sleeping at night because he was so hot.  He goes a long time in the winter (5+ months without needing to be groomed) but that will not be the case for this summer.

Last night I borrowed our neighbor's dog clippers.
I then proceeded with my hubbys to try to Clemson a "grooming" at home.
It was a success. 
It was a messy process but Clemson actually did quite well. 
The trick was having treats in hand. 
Joe helped hold Clemson while I did the shaving and the cutting. 
As I said it was a messy process and I am glad we did it on our driveway and not inside the house. 
It only took us about 30 minutes total which is not too time consuming. 



I will have to take him up to get him nails filed this weekend
because I am not comfortable with that- it is only $5-10. 
Alot better than $75-90.

Now that he is getting older he will need a haircut in theory every 3 months (he can make it 5 in the winter but may need it every 2 in the summer because of the heat). 
75$ x 4 times a year = 300. 
The price of the clippers at Amazon is 135. 
It will pay for itself after 1.8 uses. 
We also have two gift cards to Amazon which means we will get it for free... which rocks. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment