Sunday, April 17, 2011

Running thru life... Self Breast Exams

The midwife in me is posting today. 

This week I was down at Quantico doing my monthly well woman exams. 
I go down there once a month to help them out.

I walked into room to this beautiful crying 55 year old woman.
I instantly asked her what was wrong. 
She answered, " I am just not myself anymore."
After probing what that meant she explained to me a couple weeks before her daughters wedding she went for her annual exam and they found a lump.  She went and had a mammogram and then biopsies and then was diagnosed with bilateral Breast Cancer.  She had a double mastectomy and is having problems adjusting to the change.   She starting crying and I followed. 

I totally get what she was saying, I as a women may not love the set of boobs I was given but they are mine! 
They make me... me!

I reminded her that she is here and she is beating the cancer and everything else in life in chump change. 
She started to laugh and told herself she was going to say to herself every day.

We continued talk and she told me she has three daughters my age and wants to make sure they are doing breast exam correctly.  I spent some time with discussing breast exams. 

So today I am going to instruct you on how to do a proper breast exam!
Because Self Breast Exams have been found the best form of early detection and early treatment. 
1 in every 7 to 8 women will have breast cancer in there life.
The amazing thing is WE ARE BEATING IT!!!!! 
Woman are amazing and I am reminded of that every day.

So please take a couple minutes once a month to check out your boobs as follows:
(This is a handout that we give at the clinic that I was able to find a copy of)

 Couple things to note:
You should be doing breast exams once a month.  I normally recommend after your menses if possible just because you breast go thru changes (fibrocystic changes during your menses so that is not the best time to do it as your breast are different and might have changes and not to mention your breast are most sensitive when you are on your cycle. ) If you are not receiving your period every month be it birth control, or menopause I recommend just doing it the first of every month). 



If you feel anything that does not feel right check the other breast if it is located in the same place on your other breast it is most likely normal breast tissue.  Also if you ever feel something out of the ordinary call you OB/GYN to schedule an appointment for follow up.  Early detection is the best way to fight breast cancer!!!

Remember as Women we need to take care of ourselves and that included monthly breast exams!

No comments:

Post a Comment