Thursday, April 14, 2011

Running thru life... Sciatica Pain

I now have a new fun medical issue to deal with when it comes to running
Sciatica Pain. 

Sciatica refers to pain, weakness, numbness, or tingling in the leg.
My just happens to be in my right!
It is caused by injury to or compression of the sciatic nerve.



Symptoms
Sciatica pain can vary widely.
It may feel like a mild tingling, dull ache, or a burning sensation.
The pain most often occurs on one side.
. The affected leg may feel weak.
The pain often starts slowly.
Sciatica pain may get worse:
  • After standing or sitting
  • At night
  • When sneezing, coughing, or laughing
  • When bending backwards or walking more than a few yards
Treatment
In some cases, no treatment is required and recovery occurs on its own.
Conservative treatment is best in many cases.
Your doctor may recommend the following steps to calm your symptoms and reduce inflammation.
  • Apply heat or ice to the painful area. Try ice for the first 48 - 72 hours, then use heat after that.
  • Take over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen .
  • While sleeping, try lying in a curled-up, fetal position with a pillow between your legs. If you usually sleep on your back, place a pillow or rolled towel under your knees to relieve pressure.
Prevention
Prevention varies depending on the cause of the nerve damage.
Avoid prolonged sitting or lying with pressure on the buttocks.

Fun fun fun.... =0)
So last night after my 5 mile run (which I am up .8 regarding my speed- which is awesome!) I applied heat and have tried to change my sleeping position.  I am fortunate that it seems to only hit me the morning after long runs and rarely acts up with I am running.  On the whole it is not bad just something new and fun to deal with. 
Happy Running... 

No comments:

Post a Comment