Friday, April 22, 2011

Running thru life... Managing your dog on a leash

I am fortuate to have a mom who works with a woman who trains dogs. 
I have been emailing back and forth the last month or so regarding some issues we have been having with Clemson Puppy.

The big issues were as follows:
1) Too much energy- this has been remedied by the treadmill at least 30 minutes a day at a speed of 3.5 or greater and also playing chuckit.  This is his new favorite game.  It was worth the $9 I think I paid!!!

2) Barking-  This is still a work in progress but has improved with the running and games.

3) Pulling when he is walking.

After emailing back and forth she made some recommendation. 
1) Invest in a different type of collar for walking. 
She recommended eith a Chain-Slip Collar




or a Martingale Collar. 


We opted for the Martingale because we had friend who has some sucess with it and their dog is very similar to ours.  I have been using it for a week now and I feel that it is helping.  I have also started to make him sit when approaching another dog on a walk or when people are running.  Basically to train him not to run after them (aka pull me).  It is working and so far has been worth the $7 I spent on it. 
He still pulls occassionally when he sees his best friend a golden doodie or our neightbors lab- but a puppy is a puppy!!!
I basically put it on him anytime we are going for a walk.
We leave his Clemson collar on all the time. 

Here is a link that goes over the basic dog collars- it was a good referrence for me when I first started looking. 
Thank you trainer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment