Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Running thru life... Organizing our benefits

I am a very organized person (at least I like to think.) 
However, my husband is not!!

I was going thru our files (bills, insurance, social security, etc) last week.  I noticied while I had a file with my work benefit information which contained information on my TSP (Thrift Saving Place), Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, etc-  I had no such file for my husband. 

This is a problem.  Especially since I handle the majority of the finances and organize our life.

Some my ask- why is this a problem?  I like to think if something ever happens to me.  I can tell Joe, "Go look in the yellow file that is maked Laura's Benefit Information on the left side of our file cabinet," and he will be able to find the policies, the phone number, etc for my benefits.  I would like to have the same comfort if something ever happened to Joe. 

So I brought this topic up with my husband and a couple days later- I have a 240 page benefits package for Joe.  It has everything from the policies, to the phone numbers, website, etc. 

Unfortantely, we can not plan life and we never know what will happen in the future.  So it is nice for me to know that I have information available and stored for me and also for Joe if we ever need it.

This is also something that you should go thru every year and update your benefits as your life changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment