Friday, March 11, 2011

Running thru life.... Effects on my Body

Over the past couple weeks I have started to increase the distances of my long runs and the speeds of my short runs.  In general, I have been happy with my performance. 

I have cut alcohol completely out of my diet, increased my water, increased my electrolytes and lean proteins. 

However, even with all of that I am feeling the effects of dehydration- dry mouth, nausea, exhaustion.

So I am having to change my game plan a little....

1) More sleep-  I have started getting in bed earlier than I normally do, which by most people standards is way early.  I am normally lights out by 9, so now I am in bed at 8 and lights out by 8:30. 
Remember I get up at 5 am....and do not get home till 5pm on a good day
I have also starting taking a nap on Saturday and Sunday after my long runs.

2) Hydration-  I am now carry around a 32 ounce Clemson Cup where ever I go!  I have to go thru three of these a day at minumum and at least 1 has to have my electrolye supplement in it.  I am bad during the day because I see patients all day but I have started bringing my water in with me while I see patients.  Most of my patients know that I am a runner and support me.  Also, I often have to counsel pregnant women on how important it is to stay hydrated when you are pregnant, so this way they can see that I am trying to do the same (even though there is no baby in my uterus)  =0). 

3)  Changing my workout schedule. 

My current schedule is as follows
Saturday-  Long run 10-13 miles
Sunday- Short run- 5-6 miles
Monday- Medium run  8 miles
Tuesday- Off
Wednesday- Short run  5-6 miles
Thursday Off
Friday-  Short run 5-6 miles

Last week I did not run on Sunday because I was dehyrdated so I took the day off and focused on hydration and rest.  It made my Monday run much more enjoyable.  So I am starting to think of taking sunday off and letting my body rest.

I am hoping my body will like these changes. 
Happy Running.

3 comments:

  1. ahhhh Laura! I thought we talked about this! That is way to aggressive of a training schedule! You should always be running 4 days, resting 3 days, and one of your days of rest should probably include a 2-3 mile walk. You are gonna kill your body! Call me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Yes I know... but you know me =0) I do not listen to anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to tell her the same thing! I even have to big scars on my legs to prove over training is a bad idea!

    ReplyDelete