Saturday, February 19, 2011

Running thru life... While planning a girls weekend

So my two best girlfriends live no where near me... bummer right?

Well we make it work.  One of my girlfriends now lives in Southern VA (3-4 hours away) but because of our schedules and lives we maybe get to see each other every couple of months.  Because of this we have gotten in the habit of planning a "Girls Weekend."   

For our last girls weekend we went to New York in October, which was actually the perfect time to go.  My friend and I discussed a budget and then I planned everything accordingly.  We left on a Saturday morning and came back on a Monday night. 

We left on Saturday morning on the Trippler Bus.  I booked our tickets 4-6 week before the actual trip.  Our total cost for both of our tickets was 40 dollars (20 for each of us.)  So my husband dropped us off in Arlington and we loaded the bus.  I was happy with our experience.  When boarding the bus you get handed a water.   They also have outlets for you labtop and free Wi-Fi which is a plus.  The bus had a restroom if you really needed to go.  The trip took about 4 hours.  We arrived in New York and we debused at the Macys at Herald's Square in New York. 


We then walked about 3-4 blocks to our hotel.  The Distristk Hotel which is a boutique hotel that I found that was in the fashion distristk that was also incredibility close to Times Square and walking distance to the Empire State Building (which were all on our list of things we wanted to do while we where there.)

The hotel room was perfect for a 2 night visit-  It had a king bed with a nice bathroom.  We spent little time at our hotel room and was definetly an upgrade compared to our hotel room we have 5 years ago when we went to NY which was a nightmare.  Each night was $220 so our total bill was around 560 by the time taxes were added which we splint.  Here is a picture of our room.


So the first night we were there we decided to get a bite to eat and then head over to the Empire State Building.  This is something I wanted to do last time but the wait last time was over three hours!!!  We went late so around 9 o'clock and waited for about 1 hour which actually flew by because my friend and I are both people watchers and kept ourselves entertained by all the different people. 
So we got to the top and it was worth every minute of waiting!!!
We  walked our way back to times square to see all the lights and wander the street.  Little did my friend know but I was on a mission to find this restaurant that we ate at 5 years ago during the snow storm because it was the only thing we could find that was open.  It was amazing 5 years ago... and we did not know if it was because we were so hungry or if it really way good.  But we have some fond memories of this place.

I FOUND IT!!!!


We both spotted it and we started laughing... we knew where we would be eating the following night.

So we head back to our hotel room to have a glass of wine and girl chat around 1 am. 

Day 2 in New York
So part of this trip was to celebrate my friends birthday and she decided that she really really wanted to see Mama Mia.  So we got up Sunday morning, had breakfast at Dean and Dolcas and then headed over to Time Square to stand in line at the discount tickets place.  They sell tickets the day off at a fraction of the price.  The ticket place opened at 11 so we go there at 10:30 with our coffee and waited. 
By 11:15 we had our Mama Mia Tickets in our hand for the 2 pm showing.

We decided to do a little shopping, get a small bit to eat and then go back to our hotel room to fresh up before the play. 
We then went to the Wintergarden Theater (about 6-8 blocks) and there it was

We had the best seats ever!!!!!  Even better than the seat my hubby got me to Wicked!
The show was AMAZING!!!!

After the show we headed over to Tony's for sangria and Baked Ziti... so good!!!

We finished up our dinner around 10:30.  We walked around time squre and then head back to our rooms.

On Monday, we went shopping (which is a must when you go to NYC)!!! 
On Monday afternoon at 4 pm we borded our Tripper Bus to head back home.

We had such a good time, that when I told my mom all about it she wanted to go to NYC... so I will be going again in April.    When all was said and done- the bus ticket, the room, the food, the mama mia tickets (which were a little splurge) we each spent about 400 dollars.  We actually did not buy ALOT of clothes.  Last time we went to NYC  5 years ago the weather was so bad that all we did was shop because the site seeing was out of the picture.  This time it was the site seeing.  I did make two purchases which I love- My fun pink flower sweater and a beatifuly scarf both from the Loft in Time Square.   

 So.... you may ask what we are doing for our up coming trip.  Stay posted!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment