Thursday, March 14, 2013

Mac & Cheese Cups

This is a post I wrote the Monday before I delievered.  sorry for the late entry but life has been busy.

So my form of nesting has been cooking.  I have had all these recipes that I have been saving waiting for time to try them.  So Monday when I had off, I decided to give one of them a whirl.

Mac & Cheese Cups!
First I heart Mac & Cheese so I was dying to try these and they looked like something fun to serve especially to kids- yes I am already starting to think like a mom.  COME OUT BUG!!!!

Ingredients
-  1 box elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard- I will be honest- I used regular mustard which worked fine
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch cayenne
-1/4 lbs sliced American Cheese- I used white American as it is what I had in the house
- 1 bag shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten

Directions:
1) Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add macaroni and cook as per package directions.  Drain and return to pot
2) Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  Add flour and cook 1 minute.  Whisk in milk.  Whisk in mustard, onion powder, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne.  Bring to a simmer- cook for 3 minutes, whisking occasionally.
3) Remove from heat and whisk in American Cheese and 1 cup of cheddar cheese.  Whisk egg mixture into the cheese.  


4)  Stir sauce into macaroni. Coat indents of 16 standard muffins cups with nonstick cooking spray.  Divide macaroni among prepared cups.  Top each with 1 tbsp of remaining cheddar cheese.  Bake at 375 for 18 minutes until lightly browned.  Cool slightly before running a thing spatula around edge and spooning out of pans 







All in all they turned out great-
Couple recommendations
I ended up baking them for closer to 25 minutes
Let them cool for a while- if you try to take them out while they are hot- they will not stay in their cup form.














No comments:

Post a Comment