Sunday, April 8, 2012

What is Family....

As a midwife, I see all kinds of families. 
Big ones, small ones.
Families with no kids, families with lots of kids.
Young families, old families.
Families with 4 legged friends. 

I recently have been thinking about this a lot as the topic of families has come up multiple times for me this month. 

What is Family???
The beauty of Family is it has no definition!
That definition is for us to make. 
Family is no longer limited to the people we are blood related to- at least not by my definition!

My definition of family is people/beings that I hold close to my heart. 
This encompasses my hubby, parents, brother, grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, godparents,
but also for me includes my hubby's family, my beautiful puppy, and close close friends.

Yes, I include both my dog and my friends in my family which is very modern but they are my family and I hold them close to my heart.  They probably understand me better than I understand myself sometimes. 

It is interesting how our generation is challenging the traditional definition of "family." 

How do you define family?

No comments:

Post a Comment