Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Running thru life...Growing up

It hit me last year that I am growing up.  
I have a career, a family, a home, and a life I love.  
I worry about work, weekly menus, schedules, finances, etc.  
So another part of growing up is making a Will!
Urrrrr
Not something that I was looking forward to.  
I looked it to multiple ways you can go about making a will:

1) Lawyer
Too expensive considering right now we just need something basic.

2) Online Programs
Too risky, I do not feel comfortable placing our information into a internet site. 

3) CD programs
Decided this was the best option for us. 

After deciding to go with a CD Program, I started researching which one would be the best options.  
I ended up going with Quicken WillMaker Plus because it got pretty good reviews and above people commented it was easy to use.
I ordered from Best Buy because we had a gift card from when we purchased our fridge back in October.
Cost:  $0 


 It was super easy.  
I loaded it and then it walked me thru step by step asking me questions and filling in the appropriate information.

It allowed me:
  • Establish our last will and testament and stay in control of who inherits our property
  • Specify our Health Care Directive and lay out our wishes for medical care
  • Name a Financial Power of Attorney
  • Describe our preferences for burial, cremation, memorials, obituaries and more
  • Provide our executor with all the forms and instructions he or she needs to do the job, including checklists, letters, notices, claim forms and more
So finally, I did it this weekend.   
After about three hours of sitting in front of a computer, all the forms are done.  
Printed off.
Now I just have to find a notary to witness our signatures and then we should be good to go.



I know it is hard growing up but it is even harder making a will/advance directive/end of life decisions.  It was good process for me and my hubby to go thru to make sure we are on the same page.  I also loved that they had a pet section so we could make sure that if anything did happen to us that our family would know what to do with Clemson.


The Will Maker also has stuff for your children which we obviously did not have to fill out- but it is there.  

The other nice part is if for any reason some major changes, we can just change it in the program and get it re-notarized.

Here's to growing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment