Thursday, August 11, 2011

Running thru life... Road trip with Clemson Puppy

With plans to do some travel towards the end of the summer- puppy in tow. 
I started researching dog friendly places. 

We are planning on going up to Maine to visit some family for a long weekend. 
Clemson must come with us because it is a vacation for him to since we will be on an island in Maine
and he will get to swim whenever he wants-
he will be in heaven.

We have been fortunate to take trips before with Clemson. 
The longest he has ever been in the car is 6 hours to my parents cabin. 
He will be coming down to Clemson with us in the fall for a college get together with a group of friends which will be an 8 hour car ride.  As one of our friends put it ....
"Clemson will finally get to take a doukie on Clemson"- obviously stated by a male!

Overall, he does well in the car.  He has his particular place he likes to sit- between the two front seats which makes it easy for me to get to him if i need to. 


I have learned a couple things from traveling with him. 
- Have one toy that he can play with
-Make sure to pack his meals in my travel bag making it easy to access when we stop at the rest stop.
-Make sure to pack his collapsable bowl and a bottle of water in my travel bag
-Back a bone- this keeps him entertained if he gets fussy
-Look for dog friendly rest stops.  Fortuantlely we have found one on the way to my parents cabin- it has a walking travel, poop station with bags, etc

This trip to Maine however we are going to do in 2 legs.  Leaving thursday afternoon and driving for hopefully 5-7 hours and then waking up Friday and finishing the rest of the way. 
Thursday night we are hoping to stay at a hotel. 
I have started looking for hotel that are "dog Friendly" and do not
charge you an arm and a leg for being dog friendly
(i.e  if the hotel room only cost $100 and then I have to pay a $75 dollar fee for my dog.... no sense). 
I found this website which I love because I typed in the route we are taking and it comes up with places along the route that are pet friendly. 
On top of that it provides some information regarding the particular hotel fees, their phone number, etc.

I will let you know how it goes

No comments:

Post a Comment