Monday, June 20, 2011

Running thru life... Pregnancy/Birth and Facebook

Recently the Washington Post had an article about Pregnant woman posting things on facebook/twitter.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/pregnant-women-and-families-are-sharing-photos-and-more-on-facebook-web-sites/2011/05/03/AG90nNPH_story.html

So of course being that I work with pregnant women all day, people asked me my thoughts.

The image that comes to my head is a husband texting back and forth to family members when he should be supporting his wife, or the woman who was texting seconds after she delivered instead of holding her child. 
This whole concept annoys me!!!

Birth and pregnancy is truely a beautiful thing and a personal thing!!
It is between you, your spouse and your baby. 
Enjoy that moment- because you will never ever get it back!!!

I am blessed to do what I do everyday and getting to bring babies into the world. 
I still occassionally get teary at a birth.
But the births that I remember the most are the intimate ones- the ones with mom and dad working as a team to get this little one into the world.

So when your baby is born- yes it is you instinct to grab that phone and call people or post it on facebook, etc- put your computer/phone down. 
Hold you baby, hug your wife, your husband and enjoy the moment!. 

I have been fortunate to be on the slow train in my life events- i.e getting engaged and then married.  Most of my friends went before us and so they offered alot of advise.  The two good pieces of advice I got were
1) When you get engaged- enjoy the moment.
Joe and I did not call anyone for a couple hours and when we did call someone it was just our parents. 
The next day we called everyone. 
It was nice just having that special time to spend together. 

2) When you get married- have a couple minutes to yourself. 
After we walked back down the isle as a married couple our wedding planner pushed us off into a room where we could just have a couple minutes with each other.  It was so nice to just have this time together!!

So if I do ever have children, my births will be done in a similar fashion. 

Posting during the pregnancy on facebook I have mixed thoughts about- I totally understand posting "I am pregnant"  or "I am due...." but anything beyond that is crazy to me just because I am an extremely private person when it comes to my body and what I am going thru.  Also, I see in no need to post some stuff because the people I would want to know I would call and talk to- I do not want every single friend on facebook knowing my intimate details.   I totally realize that this is a personal decision but just consider what want to post before you post it (remember anyone who is your friend can read it!!)

What are your thoughts....

No comments:

Post a Comment