Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Running thru life... An update

To update everyone...

Our patio is done!!!
I will be placing pictures once I get everything done.
I planted a little Monday and last night. 


Overall, I am very happy with the finished product.  While we were hauling dirt to fill in the two areas that I wanted left open for flower beds- two neighbors from the deck near our house said "Hey that looks great!."  I also have had three people stop and ask if they can look at it as they are thinking of doing something similar.  They all said they really liked it... so that is a good sign.


However, the process was not fun. 
To make a long story short. 

Monday they came to install the patio.  The men showed up at 10 am and spoke NO ENGLISH.
Good thing I know a very little spanish. 
I showed them to the back and they go started leveling everything off. 
They knocked on the door 2 hours later to show me the layout before the concrete was poured. 
The was a problem- they made it all one level.  When I had met with the Owner who gave me the estimate, he explained to me that they would need to have the patio comprised of two levels with a step because of the slope in our backyard.  If we did not do this it would not meet code and we could have some issues when we sell the house.  So in my limited spanish I am trying to explain this to the men.  Finally, I just called the company and talked with the owner.  The owner got on the phone and explained that there need to be two levels with a step.  THANK YOU!!! So they layed the concrete and stamped it.  They left about 4:30 and said they would be back on Tuesday to powerwash and seal it.

Tuesday
I get home at 5 pm - patio is not done.
I call and the women in the office explains I will be the first one tomorrow.

Wednesday
Joe gets home at 3pm before he goes to class- still not done
I call and the women in the office explains there was a mix up and it will be done first thing Thursday.

Thursday
Joe comes home at lunch (because at this point we are pissed and do not believe a word they say). 
It is not done.
I call the office and speak with the same women.  She appologizes and say it will be done tomorrow.
This is when my bitch switch flips on.  "I would like to speak with the owner, you have cleared our check so this job needs to be done."  Once I mentioned $$ she stated the owner would call me back.
10 minutes later the owner calls me back and explains there has been a mix up and he appologizes.  He says that Friday is suppose to rain all day so they will not be able to come then.  And then his next words exactly were "But we will get you done Saturday or Sunday weather permitting, No later than Sunday I promise."  He gave me his direct cell phone number and asked me to call if I had any more concerns. 

Friday
Rain

Saturday
Rain in the morning- beautiful in the afternoon.  Patio still not done

Sunday
BEAUTIFUL.  Patio still not done by 10 am.  At this point I am furious and I have Joe call.  Joe calls at 10 am and leaves a message.  I call at 10:30 with another message, and Joe calls again at 11.  He calls us back at 11:30 and says he totally forgot "Sunday" was Easter and he gave his men the day.  At this point Joe get pissed and tells him that we are pissed and that if it is not done by Monday we are going to have to issue a complant and get the Better Business Beaure involved.  URRRRRR

Monday- I got home at 4pm and it was done.
PRAISE the lord!!!

Now I am working on getting items planted and making it a nice area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment