Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Running thru life.... Calcium in our diets...

Another Women's Health Topic

Calcium in your diet. 
As women we need to think about our bones everyday. 
Making sure you get enough calcium is essential to healthy bones, healthy growth, and decreasing our risk of osteoporsis or osteopenia. 

Below I have included a table of the current recommendation for women. 

The amount of calcium you need each day is very dependent on your life situation.  
Currently I need 1000mg a day while
my pregnant patients need 1200 and my breastfeeding patients need 1500. 

I need on average 5 servings of calcium a day since each serving ranges from 200-300 mg.  
My chobani yogurt is 200mg.
I do not get that much!!! I am not a dairy person at all.

So I have added a calcium multivitamin into my everyday routine.
Make sure if you are adding a calcium supplement into your routine that it also has vitamin D.
Research is showing that vitamin D plays a big role in calcium absorption and is a team player when it comes to bone health.  

Happy bones!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment