Monday, January 31, 2011

Week Three: Shin Splints

So yesterday, finishing  my week 4 of training for my 1/2 marathon something terrible happened.... SHIN SPLINTS halfway thru my long run.  So I stopped running and proceeded to call my brother because he also had dealt with Shin Splints while tranning for his 1/2 marathon and marathon. 
After a long telephone conversation and a couple emails later... Here is some info on Shin Splits

What are they?
A painful condition that affects the lower leg between the knee and the ankle. It is caused by damage to the muscles, tendons and tissues that attach to the lower leg bones. It may take one to six weeks or longer for your shin splints to go away. 

What causes them?
-  Not stretching and warming up your muscles enough before exercising ( I do this religiously!!!)
-Overpronation-  happens when your foot rolls inward to much when your un
-Over- use or over-training- Probably what is the problem in my case
-Shoes that do not fit or support foot well

 What are the signs and symptoms?
Pain in your inner side or back part of your shin, dull aching, tenderness and swelling 

How are they treated?
-Rest!!!!!!!! This is the most important part.
-Ice-  caused blood vessels to constrict and decrease imflammation (pain, swelling, etc) You can massage your skin with ice.
- NSAIDS like motrin.... 
-Stretching
-Tapping your legs

How can I prevent shin splints?
-Wear good fitting and good supporting shoes
-Stretching before exercising
-Use ice after your workouts

Again, this is just advice, you should always consult with your healthcare professional.

So today I will be resting, stretching, and icing..... =0)

No comments:

Post a Comment