Monday, January 24, 2011

Week 2: Equipment for Running

This week we will be talking about the equipment that helps with your running. 

First up... Running Shoes

I subscribe to Woman's Running Magazine so every 2 months I get an update on all of the new running gear. 
Each year they do have a special on running shoes- which asks you questions about your build, feet, and running routine to help determine what is the best shoe for you.  You can also take a short trip to Reston to the Potomac River Running Store and have a sale associate (also a runner) work with you on a treadmill with different shoes to determine what is the best shoe for you. 

After years of trying to find the perfect running shoe I did......


I love ASICS- mostly because they can range from $40 to $150 dollars.  When I first started running obviously I was on the lower end of the budget but now that I am putting in about 30-40 miles a week I am spending around $70-90 because my feet can tell the difference.  FIRST RULE OF RUNNING- HAPPY FEET = HAPPY RUNNER!!!  I am also fortunate that DSW is a huge ASICS carrier.  I went to a running store a couple weeks ago just to browse.... and then went to DSW after.  They had the exact shoes that the running store had- but $40 cheaper.  Also, you can sign up for DSW coupons- which will often save you an additional $10 dollars.   However, this is not always the case with running shoes.  In my husband's own words.... get the pair that works for you... regardless of price. 



**Of note- everyone's foot is different. I went thru NewBalances, Nikes, and Salconys- before finding my love for ASICS.  It is worth a trip to a running store because they are normally very knowledgeable (except when it comes to sport bras- post to come) and can help determine what type of running shoe is a good place to start.

 SIDE NOTE..... DEHYDRATION.... yesterday after my 8 mile run,  I was hit by dehydration.  Something I am not proud of, and still feeling the effects of this today.  I have been pushing fluids, but I find when you are running as much as I am- you often need electrolytes.  I will be making a trip today to get some bananna's but in the mean time I am using Nunn Electrolyte Tablets.  I was turned on to these my a marathon runner that I work with.  They come in different flavors (my favorite is the lemon lime) and are anywhere fro 5-8 dollars for 12 tabs.  You drop 1 tab in 26 ounces of water and stir.  It is a great options for work and being on the go since the package is small and can fit in your work bag, gym bag, etc.  I often do not need these when running smaller distances but as I am learning with the longer distances, you need some help.  So today ... hydration it is..





 Next Post... Running Thru Life Supported. 

No comments:

Post a Comment