Tuesday, March 19, 2013

What is in a name?

The two things Joe and I did not share during our pregnancy were 
1) The Due Date and 
2) The Name.

We decided to not share the due date as it really was just an estimate of when he was going to come and if he went past his due date- we did not want people calling every 5 minutes.  I was of the of the mind set he was going to come when he wants to come- if only I knew that I would have to be induced a week early due to Pre- Eclampsia/HELLP.  

The other thing we decided not to share was the name. 
 We basically had a girls name and a boys name picked out before our 20 week ultrasound.

I knew it was going to be a boy, while everyone else thought it was going to be a girl- I was right.  
For the most part we really did not have that much debate about the name.   
We both loved the name Collin as it was Joe's middle name and also his grandfather's name, who from what I heard was the sweetest man every.  
Naming a boy after two kind men was a no brainer- particularly because I loved the name Collin.  
We went back and forth on whether we should spell it with 1 "L" or 2 but went with two as this was the way both Joe's grandfather name was spelled and also Joe's middle name.  
Of note according to the IRS website- Collin was number 184 last year for boy names.  
This was another plus as I did not want a trendy or top 10 name.  
I want him to be unique but not crazy unique.

When it came to the middle name, again really no discussion.  
Since Collin would now be a third generation "Hecker" name, 
I only felt it fitting that Collin take a middle name that would be a third generation "Oliveria" name.    David is both my father's name and my brother's middle name. 
 I love the fact of passing a family name on but changing it your own little way.  
For example, I knew that a "Junior" was not an option.



But three generations of "Collin's" on the Hecker side and three generations of "David's" on the Oliveria side-  
It was perfect.  
Did I also mention he was born in March also number 3... 
Yes I love numbers and three is also a prime number.

So welcome Collin David =0)



No comments:

Post a Comment