Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Survival of the first week

This was the first week I was home with Collin alone and I set a couple goals for myself.  
This might sound silly but I have heard from everyone that you kind of loose track of time when taking care of a newborn and the normal daily things get pushed to the side.  

My goals were:

1) Take a shower
For the most part Collin wakes up at 8:30/9 am so I set my alarm to go off at 8/8:30- this let me get up shower, feed Clemson and the next goal- Make the bed.  

2) Make the bed
See above

3) Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner
Yes I know this sounds funny, but I am the worst at letting time getting away from me and not eating and now that I am pumping, I am hungry and I get moody when I do not eat- like blood sugar low moody.  So I have a standard system- mini bagel and cream cheese for breakfast,  turkey sandwich and chips for lunch and then I made a schedule for the dinner meals.  

4) Stay hydrated
This is by far the hardest for me.  I have a huge water bottle that I make myself down every time I pump.  I need to get better at this.  

5) Take 1 nap with Collin a day
Collin is starting to get on a routine- during the day eating every 3-4 hours.  This mean that after he feeds he is alert for 1-2 hours and then sleeps for 1-2 hours.  So he eats at 8:30/9 goes thru this routine and then is due again to eat at 12-1pm so at 2/3pm is our nap time.  
  This way I can do the 2 am feeding on my own and let Joe sleep since he is working and not getting a nap in.  This seems to be working pretty well.

6) Tackle 1-2 outings this week on my own
Last week we went on a couple outings but not too many because of the snow on Monday, and people visiting us all day on Friday.  On Tuesday we went to the Mall to have our picture taken with the Easter Bunny which took all of 15 minutes from time out of the car to time back into the car because no was was there at I went at like 11am.  Wednesday I had to go to the store to pick something up- again another quick little errand and Thursday we went on a long dog walk with Clemson.
I am ready for the weather to be warmer so I can take Clemson and Collin for longer walks. 

7) Laundry Monday and Thursdays
Newborns go thru a lot of clothes and I think it is easy to get into the trap of doing laundry everyday- which I hate!  So Joe and I decided laundry days would be Monday and Thursday.  Joe is in charge of bring the clothes down before he goes to work and I work on them during the day and put them away.  I find so far Monday and Thursdays are perfect because we have enough outfits to last between.  

All and all I feel like I am slowly adjusting and feeling like I can tackle a little more each week.  
What were your goals the first couple of weeks?

Goals for week two alone:
More walks to get back in shape
More outings to keep me sane
Hospital Mommy and Me Group


No comments:

Post a Comment