Monday, August 1, 2011

Running thru life....Being a midwife

For anyone who follows my blog you know that I am a midwife. 
Many people have misconceptions of what this is-
some people think I deliver at home or in a birth center,
some people think I only see pregnant women,
some people think all of my patients deliver naturally and can't get epidurals
some people think I have had no "formal schooling." 

WRONG!!!!!!
So here I am to answer your questions: 

First I am a nurse midwife meaning I spent 4 years (AT CLEMSON!!!)
to get my Bachelors of Science in Nursing, then was a Labor and Delivery ICU nurse,
and then went back to school at the Univeristy of Maryland to a 2 1/2 year program to
obtain my masters in Midwifery, did a mini residency, and then had to sit for my boards.   

I deliver in a high risk hospital and work side by side with physicians, Maternal Fetal Medicine Doctors, and residents providing care to patients.  I also see women who are not pregnant for their well woman care.   I consider myself a medical midwife- I love working in a hospital setting and would not change that for the world. 

The hospital I work at is an teaching hospital and after spending time as a nurse in a teaching hospital and a midwife in a private hospital- teaching hospitals are for me!  I am constantly learning, constantly being challegened- I love it. 

The patients I see in the clinic and on Labor and Delivery are low to high risk.  I have patients who have had seizure disorders or patient with hypothyroism, hypertension, and patients who are as normal as normal can be.  I have patients who request their epidural the minute they walk in and a handfull who want the natural childbirth experience.  I am here to support them in what they would like (as long as there are no contraindictations). 

I once had someone ask me "Do you really feel like you are a midwife delivering in a hospital?" 
At first I was a little put off by this questions.  But I gave it some thought and this was my answer.
"Midwife means with women- all women.  Not just the healthy who can have homebirth or deliver at birth center.  I like to think that I am here for the women who don't have those options." 

That person was stunned by what I said and 8 months later I was fortunate to deliver her baby girl in the hand and knees position.   At her postpartum visit she thanked me for doing what I do and was happy that she was able to deliver with a midwife in a hosptial setting (She had high blood pressure and could not deliver in a birth center). 

Then people ask what I do each day...
My answer
1) See clinic patients both pregnant and not pregnant
2) Deliver babies
3) Round on postpartum patients
4) Work with the residents training new interns,etc. 
5) Admin stuff like planning intern training, making the schedule for the midwives/nurse practioners, etc.
6) Attend academics and rounds

I do more in the first couple hours in my day than some people do all week. 
To be honest I would be borded with anything else.

Being a midwife is amazing.
Do not get me wrong- I have days where I wonder if this is whats right for me. 
This has been the case espeically over the last couple of months where I have had some particular physically and emotionally difficulty moments.  Everyone thinks of birth as a wonderful experience, however not all end that way. 

A couple of weeks ago I was reminded by a intern why I am where I am now.
I walked up to the Labor Deck and the resident looked at me and said "Are you here today?"
I answered "Yeap.. every Thursday." 
"Awesome, we have a natural labor patient who is about to deliver and would love you!"
I grabbed the intern and headed in.  ha ha ha
Over the next 30 minutes we delivered the baby, the placenta, etc. 
The intern looked at me and said, "Now that was awesome,  I have never done a birth like that!"
My answer... "yeah it was." 

Yeap that is why I do what I do!!!

1 comment:

  1. you are awesome at what you do! Mathis and I are both so grateful that we were able to have you work with us during our pregnancy and since. I hope that if there is a next time for us, we will have someone that is equally devoted and caring as you were. Thanks

    ReplyDelete