Friday, June 10, 2011

Running thru life... our first day in Santorini

Let me start by saying that I love my husband.

I proved this on our first day in Santorini. 

When we checked in to Altana, Christos had mentioned a 10 km walk from Imerovilgli to Oia.  Oia is the most northern city know for the beautiful sunset locations.  Christos mentioned that this was an adventuous walk (i.e phyically challenging) and takes up to 3 hours.  My husband was hooked!! 
I will say that I was less than thrilled.

So we woke up our first morning and had a wonderful breakfast and then decided to head out on our walk to Oia.  Of course we picked the hottest day to do it. 
We packed Joe's bag and loaded up our water bottles and we were off. 

This is a picture of the full walk. 


The first part of the walk was amazing since the wind was blowing and the it was a little cloudy in the sky. 

This picture is proof that I did this walk in flip flops.  Probably not the smartest thing I have done but I got mad street cred from the locals for doing this. 

Like I said the first part of the walk was wonderful...
Joe was taking pictures non stop. 
However, the wind stopped and the sun started to beat down on us.
To make it even worse... this is when the cliffs started.  The nice path turned in to no path or rocks. 
Can we say good workout!!!!!

After two hours of walking (remember this walk was suppose to take us 3)
We could see Oia from the path. 

Praise the Lord!!!

Oia was a beautiful little town.  Picture from a cliff in Oia down to the water. 
After arriving in Oia we walked around for a while just seeing the sites.


We decided to stop and get a bit to eat before trying to figure out how we were going to get back.
We stopped in a cute little shop to buy a Christmas ornament. 
This is a tradition we have started for the places we visit. 
He asked where we were staying and how we got to Oia. 
My husband explained that we walked and I did so in flip flops. 
The store owner went on and on about how my husband should pamper me for the rest of the day!  =0)
We both decided we were not up for walking back. 
We stopped a cute little restaurant with a rooftop patio. 
We split a sandwich while I had a coke and Joe beer. 

Santorini actually ends up having a bus system which makes stops in Oia, Imerogivil, and Fira.
At 1.6 euro a person we were sold and waited for the bus. 
We returned to Altana to be greeted by Christos.
He asked how our day was and we told him about our walk.

As I reflect on the walk from Fira to Oia, it is something I am glad I did but also something that I am proud of myself for doing. 
I am by no means a hiker. 
I run but I do not have to get dirty doing that. 
This was definetly doing something out of my safety box. 

Up next... Day 2... Laura's Day!!








No comments:

Post a Comment