Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Running thru life... Food in Santorini

While in Santorini we had a wide range of dining experiences... all good!!



Each day we started out with breakfast at the inn either in the dinning room or on our balcony.
This is something Joe and I have come to love when traveling.  We love having breakfast included in our stay.  It is one less meal we have to worry about and since in Europe breakfast is served until 11 or 12 we often make it more like a brunch so all we have to plan for is dinner.

Our first night there we walked in to the town of Fira and ate at both a restaurant that was recommended by the Rough Guide and the innkeepers. 
Nicks Taverna

It was a little dive.... but amazing food.
The owner himself waited on us.  
I had the lamb meatballs and Joe had the chicken platter.  
Amazing.
Our total bill was not even 15 euros (and that was with a half carafe of wine).
It was a charming place.  
Above is actually a picture of Nick himself.

The following night we stopped at Mamma Thira's.
Both recommended by our innkeepers and the Rough Guide.
We were outside looking at the menu when a older couple came out and told us we have to eat here.
"We come here every year and eat here at least a couple times each time we visit."
We were sold...

This was hands down my favorite dinner. 
We were able to sit on the top floor and had a seat right by the window looking out at the sunset.  


For dinner I had the Scallop Risotto with Asparagus Sauce.
AMAZING.....the scallops actually came in their shells.


Joe had the lamb which was also excellent.

This dinner was the most expensive meal for us right around 40 euro (including tip). 
This included 1/2 carafe of wine, appetizer, and two excellent dishes.  
We would go back here in a heartbeat.

Our third night we ended up having a light meal consisting of meat on a stick for me and a Gyro for Joe from one of the little venders on the street.  Add a beer for Joe and a diet coke for me and our whole meal cost us less than 10 euros.  It was excellent!!  My new favorite things is meat on a stick.  It is so delicious!!!

Our fourth night we were on the sunset cruise so Joe had a wonderful dinner while I did get a little nauseous and did not eat that much.  When we got back I was starving. 
So I went down and asked Christos if he would make me a sandwitch or something.
He gladley smiled and asked if he could make me a Santorini Salad.
I said sure....
A couple minutes later...

This was the second favorite thing I ate while I was in Santorini. 
I will have a future blog on the recipe.  It basically was made up of a very thick big crouton,  cherry tomoates,  greek cheese and yogurt, mint, and spices.
OMG!!!!

We also tried that night Orzo which is a greek liquor drink.  Joe really liked it.  
Very similar to Pastis.

Our final night we had a very small dinner and finished up with Mojitos on our balcony.

The food in Santorini was amazing. 
Again I was happy to have the recommendation of the innkeepers and also the Rough Guide as prices in Santorini were the highest of any place we visited.
But we stayed within budget!!!! 
And had amazing food!!!

Up Next: Reflections on Greece

No comments:

Post a Comment